Developmental Milestones

Monday, February 15, 2010

5 Steps to Build Self Esteem in our Children

Hello parents and readers,

Recently a parent requested that I write a post which addresses the importance of building self esteem in our children and requested tips on how to encourage good self esteem in our children. In today's society, our children's' self esteem is under daily attack. With the media's portrayal of unattainable beauty and body size, we have to arm our children with the tools necessary to stand strong so that they can learn to love themselves and to appreciate their individual uniqueness. I have provided my readers with 5 steps to strengthen our child's self esteem. For more information go to www.honestfamilyservices.com.

5 Steps for Parents To Build Self Esteem in Their Children

Step #1 Be Generous with Praise.
All children need love and appreciation and thrive on positive attention.
Parents can do this by using "words" of encouragement. Use the following statements daily with your children...

1. "That's right"
2. "That is wonderful"
3. "Good Job"
4. "I like the way you..."
5. "You are improving at..."

Most Importantly
6. "I am proud of you"

Words and actions have great impact on the confidence of our children, including adolescents, remember these positive statements parents and caregivers say to them to your children DAILY.

Step #2 Give Positive Touch
All Children and adolescents thrive on positive physical responses such as...

1. Parents can smile often
2. Give a nod of approval
3. Wink at your child
4. Give a hug to show attention
5. Give kisses and tell them you love them

Step# 3 Avoid Criticism
Blame and negative judgments are at the core of poor self-esteem and can lead to emotional disorders. Avoid statements such as...

1. ANY Statements related to weight or body image. "You need to lose weight", "You need to burn calories" "You don't want to be fat do you" "You are looking too thin" "Lets go work out so you can lose a few pounds" or talking to friends or neighbors about "my child needs to lose weight".

This is a very important and prevalent issue. It is often between mothers and daughters and sometimes critical fathers towards their daughters weight. These statements can be VERY damaging. As parents, it is our job to foster good self esteem no matter what our child's body type.

Use positive statements and if needed modify food intake and increase exercise in a way that is focused on positive results. "Lets go work out so we can "stay" healthy and strong" "Lets eat some more veggies so you can grow big and strong like Mommy and Daddy" "You are already beautiful but if you want to choose an active activity to become more healthy, I will help you."

It is all in the way we say it to our children. Be positive. Never criticize body weight. Work on our own self esteems and practice saying these positive comments to our selves.
1. "I love my body"
2. "I am healthy and strong"
3. "I love my womanly curves"
4. "If I can't love myself the way I am, who will".

Step #4 Teach children about decision making.

Teach children about making "choices" and to recognize when they have made good decisions. Let them "own" their problems. If they solve them, they gain confidence in themselves. If you solve them, they'll remain dependent on you.

1. Encourage your children to make their own "choices", but remind them that there is a "consequence" to each choice. Hopefully, these natural consequences will guide them to make more smart choices in their future.

Step #5 Show children that you can laugh at yourself.
Show them that life doesn't need to be serious all the time and that some teasing is all in fun. Your sense of humor is important for their well-being.

Parents can play important roles in helping their children feel better about themselves and developing greater confidence. Doing this is important because children with good self-esteem:

Act independently
Assume responsibility
Take pride in their accomplishments
Tolerate frustration
Handle peer pressure appropriately
Attempt new tasks and challenges
Handle positive and negative emotions
Offer assistance to others

Remember, you are already taking the first step to improving your child's self esteem by educating your self.

Remember these 5 simple steps.
1. Increase Praise
2. Give Positive Touch
3. Avoid Criticism
4. Teach Decision Making Skills
5. Be able to Laugh at your self.

You have the opportunity to make a dramatic difference in your child's self concept. Let us teach and encourage our children in a positive way each day.

Best of Luck,

Michelle

Michelle Chrastil, MA NCC CPD
Honest Family Services, LLC.
www.honestfamilyservices.com

2 comments:

Daddy Doula said...

I really like this article and said a few words on my blog... keep it coming...

Building Self Esteem In Children said...

Hi-

Wonderful article! A lot of great points into helping parents deal with their child's self-esteem and how to positively influence them. Sharing this on Twitter. =)

Testomonials

"Michelle is truly a dedicated therapist. She has found her calling. Michelle is a patient and insightful and has a way of gently facilitating seismic shifts in family dynamics. She has helped my 14 year old daughter, and in turn me, so much. I am really grateful we found you!"



-Adrienne



"Michelle was such a blessing to our family. My oldest girl Rachel absolutely loved her. Michelle was able to incorporate learning into playtime and she has an amazing ability to manage little ones. As a working mom, I couldn't have made it without her when my second child was born. I don't know who she took better care of, me or my girls!"



-Dana




"Coming home from the hospital, as a new mom of twins, was both excited and intimidating. My husband and I hired Michelle initially, as a night nanny. I can honestly say that she was a complete wealth of information and so wonderful with our twin daughters. Being new to this all and having no family in town, it was nice to have someone who was so experienced. Her knowledge of helping mothers of twins, with successfully breastfeeding, was the most important thing to me! Because of her, I was able to breastfeed my daughters until they were nine months old! She was so encouraging and I don't think I could have done it without her! Once our girls were sleeping through the night we had Michelle start helping us out during the day! Our daughters loved her, but I think we loved her more!!! "



-Linsley



"When our 4 month old was continuing to get up six or more times a night and my husband was sleeping on the couch for months, we thankfully, found Michelle. She spent time with us to understand what our schedule and routine was,or wasn't!, and helped us with a schedule and routine that really worked. Within a few weeks, Bella was sleeping through the night, and my husband and I got our bed back. Michelle's suggestions helped us so much. She was very caring and supportive. Thank you Michelle!"



-Jen