Developmental Milestones

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How do I get my baby to sleep through the night?

Hello readers and parents,

How do I get my baby to sleep through my night? is a very common question in my line of work. I have worked with many families on how to incorporate a scheduled daily routine for their babies which is the number one thing I recommend to increase the length of time your baby sleeps between each stretch at night. Although this was a routine designed individually for a specific family, it can be a useful tool to new parents. If you are interested in having me create a routine that is tailored to your families individual needs, you may contact me through my website.

When creating a routine for your infant there are two things that are important to remember...

1. Between the ages of 3-6month your infant should be moving to a regular eating schedule where they eat every 3-4 hours during the day. They should also be sleeping at least one 5 hour stretch in the middle of the night.

2. These babies also should be put down for a set nap every 2 hours. This means you check the clock after they wake up from their last nap and around 1 1/2 hours later offer them sleep again. I recommend a dim room,some form of white noise, and your baby should be swaddled. Being consistent is key in teaching your child healthy sleep habits.


Honest Family Services, LLC.
Brenna’s Feeding and Sleeping Routine

Feeding #1: Rise and Shine! 4:30-5:30 am Feed warm bottle of 4oz.

Early Morning nap: Between 6:30-8am.

Feeding #2: Between 8am-9am. Bottle made for 6oz.

Morning nap: Between 9:45-10am (wake up between 10:45-11:45). Put to
sleep in crib and let sleep up to 2 hours.

Feeding #3: Between 11:30am-12:30pm. Bottle made for 6oz.

Afternoon nap Between 12:45- 1:45. Put to sleep in crib. Can sleep up to 2 hours.

Feeding #4: Between 3:00pm-4pm. Bottle made for 6 oz.

Bedtime routine starts: Between 5:30-6:00pm
• Bath time and Lotion
• Pajamas and fresh diaper

Feeding #5: Between 6:00- 6:30pm Mom or Dad Feeds bottle with 6 oz in her room, dim lights, white noise, swaddled. (If asleep place in crib after being held slightly up right for 10min) or….

• Place in crib while swaddled snugly or need baby sleep sac to keep warm. Babies need to feel warm and comfortable. Consistency is the most important thing.

Feeding #6: Between 11:30pm-12:30pm bottle feed with 4oz-6oz of formula.
This is the feeding we want to be pushed back hour by hour until it becomes the Rise and Shine Feeding.

Rise and Shine Feeding #1: Between 4:30-5:30pm for Rise and Shine Feeding.


Again, this is an example of what a typical routine would look like.

Rules of thumb for introducing a new routine....

1. Be consistent for at least 1-2 weeks so you and your infant can both get used to the new way of doing things.

2. Make sure the whole family is on board. It is important to have both partners involved in making routine decisions so that they can make a team effort while they attempt to teach their baby a new and more healthy way of doing things.It is also good to involve the older siblings so they know the time that mommy or daddy may be unavailable due to the babies routine.

3. The routine should work for the whole family.

4. Allow yourself flexibility however staying consistent is the most important thing. Follow the above guidelines for the routine and stick with it consistently to allow opportunity for change.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Michelle Chrastil, MA CPD NCC
Honest Family Services, LLC.
www.honestfamilyservices.com

No comments:

Testomonials

"Michelle is truly a dedicated therapist. She has found her calling. Michelle is a patient and insightful and has a way of gently facilitating seismic shifts in family dynamics. She has helped my 14 year old daughter, and in turn me, so much. I am really grateful we found you!"



-Adrienne



"Michelle was such a blessing to our family. My oldest girl Rachel absolutely loved her. Michelle was able to incorporate learning into playtime and she has an amazing ability to manage little ones. As a working mom, I couldn't have made it without her when my second child was born. I don't know who she took better care of, me or my girls!"



-Dana




"Coming home from the hospital, as a new mom of twins, was both excited and intimidating. My husband and I hired Michelle initially, as a night nanny. I can honestly say that she was a complete wealth of information and so wonderful with our twin daughters. Being new to this all and having no family in town, it was nice to have someone who was so experienced. Her knowledge of helping mothers of twins, with successfully breastfeeding, was the most important thing to me! Because of her, I was able to breastfeed my daughters until they were nine months old! She was so encouraging and I don't think I could have done it without her! Once our girls were sleeping through the night we had Michelle start helping us out during the day! Our daughters loved her, but I think we loved her more!!! "



-Linsley



"When our 4 month old was continuing to get up six or more times a night and my husband was sleeping on the couch for months, we thankfully, found Michelle. She spent time with us to understand what our schedule and routine was,or wasn't!, and helped us with a schedule and routine that really worked. Within a few weeks, Bella was sleeping through the night, and my husband and I got our bed back. Michelle's suggestions helped us so much. She was very caring and supportive. Thank you Michelle!"



-Jen